Thursday, August 14, 2008

Foreign Talents

They are everywhere...

Before I go further, let me clarify that I'm not against them working here IF they :
1. are more considerate and sensitive to our culture
2. are able to speak some decent English
3. do not create trouble
4. do not take any public place like their own home and do all kinda stupid things
5. genuinely am better than local talents

I've seen my fair share of FTs thinking they're high and mighty simply because our gahmen welcome them with open arms (later, I shall post a quote from MM Lee which pwned them all). There had been numerous incidents of them leaning on the grab-pole in the MRT during peak hours, causing other passengers having virtually nothing or little of the pole to reach out for balance. Another classic case is that of them pretending to be asleep/reading-papers/etc instead of giving up their seats to others who needed it more. Fair enough, many Sgreans are guilty of this, but it seemed that most of those I encountered are FTs (perhaps I'm 'lucky' to keep running into them). Other case which I personally hated is that some of them (typically Curryland Folks) carries a backpack to work, which I sometimes do too. However, in the crowded MRT, at least I would remove it from my shoulders and placed it on the ground between my legs so that I do not hit others with it when I turn or if the train jerks. These particular group of FTs simple love to fill up the backpack and carry it on both shoulders!! Imagine the impact as they move or turn, how many innocent passengers would be impacted?

I'm sure everyone had by now come across 1001 FTs in the eateries all over the island. Noticed that some of them can barely speak a word of English, yet they get hired to take orders!!! OMG!! If its some coffeeshop we're talking about, fair enough. But imagine you go to places such as NYDC and you had to place your order in Mandarin?!!!?? What if you cant speak the language which they can understand? This situation never fails to turns me off each time I encounter it. If you ask me, I think "if you wish to work in a country, you jolly well be able to communicate in their dominate language fairly efficiently!". Those from the Motherland cant speak English, those from Curryland can, but with a very very heavy curry smell that makes you cant understand the words they are trying to say while those ah-nehs dont know how to speak English but only know how to keep looking at you and grin away....

We have FTs in virtually every single industry and sector. Most of them are here because they cost the employer lesser in terms of salary and perks to hire. There had been a few recent cases of murder, suicides, scams all by them. But then again, they come here with virtually nothing to lose and everything to gain, as such, some of them try tricks and patterns to fulfill their dreams quick. If they resort to legal means, ok. Unfortunately, some chose the dark side, preying on the elderly, children and the defenceless (no wonder the crime rate has gone up). This is most shameful! I was listening to the Morning Express this morning on my way to the office when Glenn suggested to have such offenders given the death penalty. I second his idea! In fact, perhaps the death penalty should be meted by means of stoning, not hanging. :p

If you go to a foreign country be it to work or visit, surely you wouldnt display your bad habits in front of everyone because it shows alot about you and your upbringing. It seemed that some of our dear FTs arent aware or even ashamed at all. Some typical behaviour includes placing their bare feet on the seats, digging their nose and flicking it (whatever from their nose) into the air, spitting anywhere they like. I know that Sgreans are guilty of these actions too, however, I dare vouch that they are the minority, thanks to those past campaigns run by the gahmen.

They come here to work, to seek a living. In another word, to 'snatch' the ricebowl from Sgreans. The way I look at this is that 'If you are really that good, I'd gladly let you take over. However, if you're here just to smoke your way out, then please get lost!'. I've come across many of these head-shaking FTs in my course of work whereby during Pre-Sales, everything we request also can deliver. Once the deal is signed, things started to get delayed, then when you 'banged table' and call for a project review, they will tell you all kinds of excuses and say this one cannot, that one is complicated. If you insist on it, need to add on the cost. Basket!! How come during pre-sales you dont tell me all these, post-sales then make so much noise? If you cant deliver, you jolly well say so in the beginning, dont waste everyone's time!

This morning, I was reading the STD (Straits Times Digital, not sex disease) where our dear MM Lee was talking about the impact of the economy downturn and how the gahmen pledges to help us all (by raising GST again?).

He said : work permit holders will 'take the brunt of the retrenchments, saving many Singaporeans their jobs'.

These are some of the best words I've heard from him in years....

2 comments:

muifan said...

to be fair to them, i must say the majority of those whom i saw leaning against poles in mrt cabins are singaporeans...nt FTs.

maybe u have yuan fen wif them la :P

Uncle Law said...

yah, locals and FTs oso have lah but I seemed to run into FTs more...