Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Unique KL Experience

This is a long overdue post which should have gone up long ago but due to laziness.... here is it now....

Well, I hopped over to KL over the 04-06 Dec weekend for the Les Mills Quarterlies taking place on Sunday. Although I signed up for Body Combat and Body Pump, I participated only in the BC42 Workshop due to time constraints, plus abit of laziness too. :p

I arrived on Friday morning on an uneventful flight together with G & V, his partner. Prior to the trip, we both knew we're on the same flight but probably different rows/sides of the plane. As it turned out, their seats are actually right next to my window seat! Talk about coincidence....

Something 'dramatic' happened the moment we landed. I was trying to switch on my phone but it simply wouldn't power on. I then tried using a pen's pointed end to 'poke' the power button, it still wouldn't start.... I've by now started to panic for without my phone, I'm unable to link up with Ms Ang, my very kind course-mate who offered to play host to the few of us from SG and showed us around KL. I'm supposed to link up with Ms Ang @ KLIA for she had come all the way to the airport to drive GV & me our accomodation @ Concorde Hotel. Desperate, i borrowed G's phone and plucked in my SIM Card. To my great relief, I received an SMS from Ms Ang the moment G's phone powered up. Had she not SMSed me, I've no idea how to reach her.... Anyway, all ends well regarding the linking up part once we're able to reach each other. Much credit must go to G for helping me out of the 'crisis'.

After checking in, Irene brought us to this street market where she recommended us some very delicious chicken/beef rendang. I particularly like the rice for its kinda sticky, unlike those we have in SG which is non-stick. The hawker must have added quite some spices to the rendang for the smell and taste is fantastic. I could have eaten it for dinner too if not for us going elsewhere in the evening!

We proceeded to Mid-Valley Mall post-lunch for some shopping before returning to attend a BC class at the Menara MBF Fitness First which is about 300m from Concorde while Ms Ang's office is, can you actually BELIEVE it, right next door!!

The highlight of the day comes in the evening post-dinner where Ms Ang, GV, G's coursemate B & wifey, Ms Ang's 2 friends from FF and myself drove up to a place in Ampang called Look Out Point. I've always a soft-spot for great scenaries be it urban or natural landscapes. It sort of like a ritual of mine to ascend up the local viewing tower for a look around the city during my first visit. I've been up KL Tower and also the Petronas Tower, but to look 'down' onto KL City from its outskirts is something totally new to me and I love it very much! The view up there is stupendous while the roads leading up is horrendous. Can you imagine driving up an unlit, winding road with pretty faint road markings at 10pm? If you thought the roads up Genting is bad enough, wait till you try this!!

The atmosphere here is very conducive for a good chill out session with friends, with your significant other and maybe even a good location to propose! :p If could be adventurous enough, I might have brought my SO up too (if I have one). The drinks and food is pretty ordinary, nothing fantastic to boast about. But like I've mentioned earlier, the atmosphere is second to none (Jewel Box @ Mt Faber is WAY OFF!!).

Day 2 was an interesting day for Ms Ang's Team-Teaching and G, B and I decided we just had to attend it to give her our utmost support. Her mentor was this petit lady called Peggy whereby she gives you the kind of impression that she's just like any other BC Instructor we have in TF. The moment she gets on stage and started rattling off the standard Class-Intro, the way she explains the various techniques in BC and some of those safety points to take note of, you'd know she's not a mentor for nothing. I'm really glad Ms Ang had been assigned Peggy for mentorship for I know she'd be in good (in fact, very good) hands.

More folks are arriving from SG on day 2, eg. MF, Grace and Mich @ 2pm via coach. Ms Ang and I met up with them at Corus Hotel where they're staying before we hit the road for 1-Utama. This mall seemed like a hell-of-a distance away from KLCC! A rough estimation of the trip time goes like 1hr? We drove past a Nandos signage and Grace went crazy... no prizes for guessing what's our lunch that day. The plan of the afternoon is to have lunch, then hit the mall for shopping before proceeding to meetup with more folks for dinner at Bubba Gump @ The Curve. The Curve's a nice dining spot, it sort of reminds me of The Grove back in LA. There wasn't much activity post-dinner as we all wanted to retire early for the next day, the HIGHLIGHT of our trip up north, the Les Mills Quarterlies!

It was rise and shine real early on day 3 of my KL Trip. Met up with Ms Ang for breakfast at the lobby just like the previous day as I'm staying alone in my twin room. Rather than waste one breakfast each day, why not invite Ms Ang to join me? We had a light breakfast before heading out to the gym @ KLCC where the Quarterlies are held. Body Combat is the 2nd programme of the day @ 10am while Body Vive was the first. The event was conducted on this indoor basketball court within the gym where they had setup the stage on one facet of the court. Anyway, we finished the workshop, did some cam-whoring, snap pictures with Rachel (one of the BC Programme Directors) and then left the gym for our hotel to pack up and check out. G had hired a cab to take us to KLIA for our flight back.

I've actually sooooooo much to share with regard to my very first LM Quarterlies that I'd be dedicating one entire blog post to it instead of mixing it in with this post. Do stay tuned to my next post, ok?

As the 4 of us, Ms Ang, GV and me sat drinking in Hard Rock Cafe waiting for the cab to arrive, I can't help but felt abit sad that the weekend's coming to an end so quickly and we'd have to leave. Thank goodness KL isn't too far away from SG and we can always drop by whenever possible. This trip had been one of my best ever trip for it was the first time that I've done things which are not  'tourisy' and this is all thanks to Ms Ang for playing host to us and showing us the nooks and corners of KL. On behalf of GV, Grace, MF and Mich, I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation for all that you've done for us during our visit.

Hope January comes around faster so that we can once again meet up and have a helluva good time :)

7 comments:

muifan said...

I wouldn't say I enjoyed the short stint of 2D1N stay in KL, but Yes, must really thank Irene for showing us ard. =)

Irene Ang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Irene Ang said...

And I've enjoyed playing host... :)

Lawrence, you really need to stop calling Ms. Ang, it's like I'm your kindergarten teacher...

May Fang, if only you've managed to join us the day before, the view is really good...

Uncle Law said...

hey Irene, what did u post and removed? :p

Ok ok, since you insisted, i shall refer to you as Irene from my next post onwards... :)

yeah MF, the view is REALLY FANTASTIC! must go see if got chance

Irene Ang said...

I've commented and realized that I've had a typo, so removed it and posted a new one.

Uncle Law said...

its ok to have typos... :) next time just leave them there ok?

Irene Ang said...

Don't want to leave them there la... look very ugly...