Sunday, December 20, 2009

My 1st Les Mills Quarterly Workshop

As promised in my previous post, I'd be dedicating this entire post to the ins & outs of my first Les Mills Quarterly Workshop in KL on 6th Dec 2009.

If you've been reading my entries all along (which I assumed you do), I was over in KL 2 weekends ago and the major reason why I was even there is to attend the series of LM Workshops (specifically BodyCombat) which are held every 3 months in the various cities. These workshops are the platforms by which LM uses to launch their new releases for the various programs in their stable (eg. BodyCombat, BodyPump, BodyStep, etc).

This time around, the workshops are held @ Twin Towers Fitness which is located in the basement of KLCC, right at the ticket booth whereby you can obtain tickets to the Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge. The reception area of this gym isn't fantastic to begin with, in fact, the worst of True Fitness's reception is easily 2 notches above that of Twin Towers Fitness. However, what really awed me is the existence of an indoor basketball court, full-sized, @ basement 2 within the confines of the gym. I supposed most of the GX Classes are held here except for maybe the RPM Classes since I did not spot any other rooms within the gym that looks like a studio. Not surprising, they had setup a stage in the middle of the court for the workshop.


This workshop is based on the upcoming BodyCombat Release 42, a pretty much Muay Thai-themed release. There were 6 presenters on stage, including the 2 Program Directors for Body Combat, Rachael & Dan Cohen (yes, they're husband and wife) from NZ. With the 'dress-code' of the day being white top with Muay-Thai bottom, it's not at all surprising to see many fellow 'Combatants' dressed in white tops and Muay-Thai bottoms of various colours. Others, like me, who didn't stick to the dress code, turned out in various colours and gears but generally tried to stick to the 'official colours' of the day. I spotted at least 1 dude in Muay-Thai gears, complete with 'Pra-Jead', an arm-band worn on the biceps. I later heard from Irene that this guy's the Head of BC, from FF Malaysia.

BC is the 2nd workshop of the day. BodyVive's the first @ 830am. BC's coming up next at 10am. By the time we got changed and went down to B2, there were already many other folks already hanging around on the sides of the court, looking on and waiting for the BC Workshop to commence. As the clock ticks closer to 10, more folks poured in, amongst them quite a few of TF's Instructors. The scene sorts of reminded me of TF's Mega Combat held @ Suntec's Fountain of Wealth.

Everyone got on their feet, all ready to run towards the centre of the court so as to get a 'prime' spot in front of the stage. I'm sure the objective for doing this is not to be able to catch the action on stage, but more to catch Dan & Rach instead. At least my objective for being in a prime location is such. The participants of the BV workshop barely occupied half the available space on the courts but the participants of BC, had they spread themselves out, would have easily fill the ENTIRE court. But it was not to be as everyone tried to squeeze towards the centre, resulting in very little space around us. I can barely straighten my kicks without hitting the fellow in front, not to mention that I got kicked TWICE by this lady at my 5 o'clock direction!

BC 42's not that difficult to do, but to instruct would be a bit challenging for there were some rather complicated moves such as the 4-directional Ginga and a new move called The Sweep. I quite like Tracks 1A, 3, 7 and 8. I've always been a fan of power tracks and its no surprise that Tracks 3 and 8, again, are 2 of my favourites from the new release. I especially love the Muay Thai track of the new release, it's a 'recycled' track from the past but had been remixed for use this time around. There were 2 rounds to go for this track, 1 round for each side of the body, totaling about 8mins in all. In the beginning of each round, there is a traditional ritual dance for Muay Thai fighters before the fight called the Wai Kru which I really enjoyed. The accompanying music in the background during this choreography sticks in my mind all the time! For the sake of those still in the dark about the upcoming release, I shall not comment too much herein.

Attending the Workshop this time is very meaningful to me because its my VERY FIRST Les Mills Workshop and to be able to meet Dan & Rach makes it even more special. I've always been wanting to meet them ever since I got hooked on BC and by attending the KL Workshops, my little dream came true. :) The icing on the cake would have been able to get a picture with them both but it was not to be. I've only to get some pictures with Rach and also her autograph on my BC 40's Choreography Booklet. Perhaps my objective for the next Workshop with them in attendance would be to get some pictures with Dan.

New Zealand filming anyone?

No comments: