Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Trip of Many Firsts....

I was in KL over the recently past weekend (again) and the usual things such as meeting up with Irene and her fabulous bunch of friends, visiting Lookout Point, doing BC, etc happened. However, there exist one major difference...my significant other joined me on this trip!

This is a trip of many firsts, why so? Read on and let me know if its full of firsts or not :
  • Our very FIRST holiday
  • Watched our FIRST movie
  • Did our FIRST good deed together 'fostering' an orphan from KL during a charity event
This trip also happens to coincide with Irene's FIRST attempt at obtaining the Body Combat Instructorship which would allow her to begin instructing BC in FF Malaysia. A whole bunch of us dropped by to give her our moral, physical and vocal support, including Garion, who specially flew in via Singapore Airlines and arriving at the gym only barely 30mins before the class! I've not seen a class filled with more energy, noise and encouragement than this! I've never shouted this much and this hard before in my years of BCing until this class. My voice was already coarse by Track 3.... No doubt there were mistakes here and there, I personally felt that Irene did a great job and thought she might be able to scrap through. However, I guessed the assessor had other ideas....

Another significant activity which we partake in was this charity event whereby we bought tickets to the movie, How To Train A Dragon for 30RM a piece. The amount we paid actually goes towards 'sponsoring' a movie outing for a group of orphans from the local orphanage in KL. This event runs in the manner whereby each Girl-Guy pair of us becomes the 'foster parents' of an assigned orphan for the duration of the movie. Our child is named Paul and imagine my amusement when the tallest boy in the group responded to my calls for his name! He is 16, speaks pretty good English, knows where is Singapore and is even taller than me & SO!!

I've never given much thought about orphans until this event where I came up close and 'personal' with one. For the first time in my life, I really appreciate knowing who my parents are and having them with me. OK, well, at least my dad for now....

This is really a meaningful and rewarding trip for me and SO for its not everyday that we get to do something sooooo meaningful for charity. Living together with her for 3days, I'm already starting to feel closer to her emotionally and mentally. Of course, Irene had a big part to play in making this a GREAT TRIP in the way she introduces us to her awesome bunch of friends... Rachel, Jonathan, Doreen (correct me if I'm wrong).

My next trip there should tentatively be for the Sept Quarterlies.... :)

5 comments:

Uncle Law said...

Hi there,

Nice site too!

Any recommendation for a decent netbook? Am currently using the MSI U100 and am looking to upgrade if a good one comes along.

Cheers,
Uncle Law

Irene Ang said...

It's always nice to have someone over and a chance to bring them around. Glad that you've enjoyed your trip and sorry that it was also packed with many of my own things to do :)

I'll see you and Pearlyn around on your next trip here or my next trip there :)

Uncle Law said...

Yup, I enjoy the feeling of having a friend or 2 coming by for a visit too!

You and your gang must drop in on us soon. You can bet your last dollar that the bunch of us here, Pearlyn, Garion, me, etc will keep you busy until you leave... :)

Irene Ang said...

I'm sure you will. There's a tentative plan to be there around April 24... though not confirmed yet. Will update you when I have more info.

Uncle Law said...

NICE!! we'd be waiting for u!