Saturday, September 5, 2009

Irritating Passengers on Public Transport

When had you last taken a ride on our 'infamously' slow and packed-like-sardines public transport such as the bus or MRT? Well, for non-drivers like me, I had to face the 'crap' daily... and its more often than not, pretty much bearable (perhaps used to it), but then again, sometimes you'd just be so lucky and ran into some pretty inconsiderate or even irritating passengers to help make your ride even more miserable (if its not already bad enough).... I recently encountered 2 incidents which I could not resist but need to rant here!

The other day I boarded SMRT963 home from the AYE after work, intending to change to SMRT67 along the way as the former doesn't pass by my place. Just one stop after I've boarded, up came this long-haired uncle wearing tattered berms which looks like had been unprofessionally cut off at the knees to make a pair of berms from an orginal pair of jeans.... This uncouth looking guy seemed like a labourer kinda worker which explainsJustify Full the sourish smell emitted from him, smelt heavily of cigarette smoke. As the bus was packed to the brim, he stood somewhere behind where I was seated and started clanging against the metal overhead grap-poles using a coin (I presumed). Then as the bus reached a popular stop, many alighted and he came to sit next to where I was seated BUT across the aisle (thankfully). Immediately, he propped his knees against the back of the seat in front of him, whipped out his HP and blast the hokkien songs away sooooo loud that I can hear pretty clearly the melody even though I'm using an in-ear earphones!!

Knowing that such people sometimes do appear from time to time, I tried to ignore him. But I really do pity the lady seated right beside him for she had to endure the smell and the constantly repeating song.....

I encountered another incident on my way back from town earlier this evening.. As usual, the bus was packed like hell by the time it pulled into the Dhoby Ghaut bus stop... the front of the bus had already been packed until the passengers where standing on the steps! And when the doors behind had opened in anticipation for others to alight, this group of teenagers which I presumed were no more than 16, boarded from these 2 doors!! Not that I've a problem with them not paying for their rides... but I'm more pissed off with the din created by that group of pent-up teenagers with nowhere to release their energy.... They were standing near the exit, blocking everyone from moving further back to the rear of the bus, talking and laughing out loudly, spewing vulgarities from their foul-mouth like nobody's business! Damn it... I really felt like telling them off there and then... but then again, I'm only on the bus for the next 30mins, might as well just forget it?

Sometimes, I really do wonder what is today's world coming to?

No comments: