Thursday, January 21, 2010

Body Worlds & The Cycle of Life

Been wanting to visit the exhibition for quite a while and it wasn't until Irene's visit here 2weeks ago that I finally went. It turned out that she's been dying to visit too :)

For the un-initiated, this exhibition had been in town since 23 October 2009 and will still be around at the Singapore Science Centre in Jurong East until 06 March 2010.  Entrance Fee @ $20 or $21 if you wanna visit the Science Centre too.

I've read some pretty good reviews about Body Worlds as well as concerns about its morbidity. A friend even told me he's staying off the exhibition in case something 'follows' him home!! OMG!!! I must say I've not regretted one bit about paying to attend this event. Not only is it educational, but it also sets me thinking about myself, my family and friends too....

The setup of the exhibition is such that it guides the viewer thru the passages of life, from pre-natal to adulthood, along the way showing the viewer the various parts of the human body, the nervous system, the skeleton, the various organs, etc. One particular exhibit leave a pretty deeply-entrenched impression in my mind and that's one which talked about our skin and how it's a protective layer shielding our body from the harshness of the environment in which we lived. Without it, our body would have been ravaged by viruses and bacteria, not to mention the dust and dirt collecting on our naked flesh. I'm immersely thankful for this approximately 4mm layer of shield on me.....

Another exhibit that struck a cord in my heart was that of the brain. I'm particularly interested in this aspect of the exhibition because Hero's suffering from early stages of dementia and one heading on a poster REALLY got my eyes near to tears....

The poster said, "Dementia, a long goodbye..."

That's it, this line DID IT FOR ME... I stood there, stoned for a few minutes thinking about the eventual day when Hero would possibly forget who we all are...... From the moment I saw that line onwards, I couldn't really get back to my pre-poster mood anymore. It's that dramatic for me.

If you have not visited the exhibition, I'd strongly encourage you to. Its definitely worth the $.

No comments: